The organiser of the fast-growing TriStar Series of triathlons, Star Production SARL, has revealed further details about its new TriStar T5 Team racing format. The TriStar Team Event concept involves professional and age group athletes participating in a team. This will ultimately involve a series of team races at ‘destinations around the world and an annual final showdown in the last quarter of the year.’
For 2012, TriStar111 Madrid will be the focus event, taking place on 11-13 May at Casa de Campo, Madrid. The official team presentation and ‘Energy Party’ will be held on 11 May. The inaugural T5 TriStar T111 Madrid event then kicks off on 12 May.
TriStar Team Event:
- 5 athletes form one team (professionals and amateur/age-groupers)
- There is currently a limit of 30 teams taking part in 2012
- TV coverage of each race will boost awareness, raising the profile for team sponsors and other stakeholders
- The team event applies to the TriStar111 race distance (1K swim / 100K bike / 10K run)
- TriStar’s alliance with the International Triathlon Union (ITU), means that drafting is allowed at the T5 TriStar T111 Madrid event in coordination with the ITU. (Although, drafting on the bike will be allowed with other team members only. With drafting not permitted via other team members, Star Events aims to make the format more exciting for participants and spectators alike.)
- Star Events will also introduce a new worldwide ranking system for the TriStar Team Event
Alongside teams of professional athletes, TriStar encourages companies to get involved sponsoring teams. Multisport clubs may also put together teams, or they could be comprised of an informal group of friends. Each team will have its own race kit and will feature prominently on the TriStar T5 Madrid website.
There are a range of race packages:
Standard – ‘Feel the new team spirit’ package, which is ‘ideal for clubs, federations, athletes’ and has an entry fee of €2,500 in total for 5 athletes
Sponsor – for linking a company/brand with a team; targeted at corporate teams and sponsors, this has a total (5 athlete) entry fee of €5,000 and has a range of extras available to the team and team sponsor
Premium Sponsor – with ‘more media and event visibility – during the event, around the event and all year long’ and more extras on offer.