At its inaugural triathlon industry gathering in La Jolla, California, the Triathlon America Conference was heralded as a big success.
Taking place on February 27-March 1, 2011, by the end of February, the first Triathlon America Conference had 218 multisport industry players signed-up for the event.
The event organisers note that around 230 delegates attended the 3-day conference and around 295 visited the Triathlon America Awards ceremony and banquet.
On the evening of Monday 28 February, triathlon industry members gathered for the first annual Triathlon America Awards Celebration presented by Active Network. Here, the ‘best companies, programs and athletes in the triathlon industry in 2010 were recognised and honoured on the final night of the Triathlon America Conference.’
Triathlon America Award Winners included:
• Most Valuable Triathlete of 2010 (MVT) – Chrissie Wellington
• Long Distance Male Triathlete of the Year – Chris McCormack
• Long Distance Female Triathlete of the Year – Chrissie Wellington
• Olympic Distance Male Triathlete of the Year – Javier Gomez
• Olympic Distance Female Triathlete of the Year – Emma Moffatt
Industry and program category winners for the Triathlon America Awards Celebration, presented by Active Network, included:
Most Innovative Top Five Triathlon Products in 2010 (listed in alphabetical order)
• Newton Terra Momentus Trail Shoe
• Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Speedfil Hydration System by Inviscid Design
• Speed Concept 7 Series by Trek
• Zipp Firecrest by Zipp Speed Weaponry
Top 10 US Retailers of the Year (listed in alphabetical order)
• All 3 Sports – Atlanta, Georgia
• Bonzai Sports – Falls Church, Virginia
• Gear West Bike & Triathlon – Long Lake, Minnesota
• Inside Out Sports – Charlotte, North Carolina
• Nytro Multisport – Encinitas, California
• Sbr Shop Inc – New York City, New York
• Speedy Reedy Triathlon – Seattle, Washington
• Sports Basement – San Francisco, California
• Trisports.com – Tucson, Arizona
• Triathlon Lab Inc – Santa Monica, California
Best Published Triathlon Photograph of 2010 (print or online)
‘Mens Start’ – Photo by Paul Phillips. Competitive Image published by Electronic Edition of Sports Illustrated.
Best Published Written Triathlon Article of 2010 (print or online)
‘One From the Heart’ – written by Lee Gruenfeld and published in Inside Triathlon Magazine
Submissions and rankings for the awards were determined by a National Voting Panel (NVP) consisting of all Triathlon America founding members and 10 additional award panel members prominent within the industry, including triathlon icons Mark Allen, Dave Scott, Paula Newby-Fraser, Karen Smyers as well as NBC Today Show host Natalie Morales.
In the lead up to the industry gathering, support for the conference had been very strong. A number of sponsors stepped up to help make the industry event a success:
Active Network, Competitor Group
Ashworth Awards, Ironman, Kimbia, Leslie Jordan, Life Time Fitness, Troutman Sanders
Always Advancing, Clif Bar, Crichton & Partners, EnduraFit, Event Director, Mike Plant & Associates, MyLAPS, Raceit, Tri-California Events
Champion System, Endurance Films, FRS Healthy Energy, 2XU