Wattbike, the innovative indoor cycle trainer company, has announced the North American availability of its highly acclaimed Wattbike Trainer and Pro bikes – billed as the world’s first affordable indoor bikes that accurately measure power (watts).
Watt computers allow athletes to instantly see how much power (watts) they are producing versus analysis of heart rate data. Signed off by the English Institute of Sport as being accurate, Wattbike is the first indoor bike that has ever been endorsed by British Cycling and is widely used by UK and European elite athletes, sports bodies and professional sports teams as their preferred high performance cycle training device.
“We are thrilled to bring our elite training bikes to US cycling and fitness enthusiasts,” said Ian Wilson, Managing Director of Wattbike.
“With more than 1.2 million Americans (SGMA study May 2010) participating in at least one traditional triathlon in 2009 and the rapidly increasing growth of triathlon and cycling events, we are proud to provide a highly accurate and effective cycling training option that is becoming a paramount instrument for cyclists and triathletes around the world.”
The Wattbike is not only a top choice for competitive cyclists it’s also increasingly the indoor cycle trainer of choice for gym and fitness chains, offering gym members the ability to track improved levels of fitness and allowing gyms to provide group sessions with enhanced levels of interaction. The Wattbike is available in Pro and Trainer models for US$2,995 MSRP and can be purchased direct from www.wattbike.com/us.
The Wattbike Trainer and Pro are designed to replicate the sensation of ‘real’ cycling and deliver accurate, repeatable and comparable results. The bikes allow the user to train harder in a shorter period of time because they allow each session to be tailored to a specific intensity and training goal and they eliminate any down-time that actual outdoor riders would encounter.
In 2000, the founders of Wattbike approached British Cycling with the idea to create an indoor bike that accurately measures a range of high-performance parameters. Six years later the governing body was satisfied that the Wattbike met its criteria and today Wattbike remains the first and only indoor cycle trainer to be endorsed by British Cycling.
Launched to the public in 2008 at the World Track Cycling Championship in Manchester, Wattbike quickly established itself as the indoor cycle trainer of choice for elite athletes, gym chains and the home fitness market.
With a Wattbike, users can analyse and fine tune cycling technique, and can monitor and record key performance parameters in real-time with an ‘unrivalled level of accuracy.’ Capturing results to this level of detail encourages smarter training for the individual, and to adhere to training programs that achieve performance, health or fitness goals with a minimum commitment of time.
For rehabilitation, general fitness, high level training, scientific testing, cross-training and competition, Wattbikes include a variety of technical features such as:
- Feels like a real bike – the Wattbike features both air and magnetic braking systems to allow you to replicate any desired training session from low intensity recovery riding to maximal intensity sprints
- Accuracy & factory calibration – delivers accurate, repeatable and comparable results as each Wattbike is factory calibrated and will not need to be recalibrated throughout its life.
- Performance computer – simple and intuitive, it records 39 parameters 100 times per second, but displays only the key information for the cyclist through seven different views. The rider has the option of viewing their data in power (watts), energy (joules), speed (km/h) and pace (time per km).
- Unique display – provides immediate feedback on the cyclist’s technique and all bikes are factory calibrated identically, allowing them to be linked together for accurate racing.
- Heart rate monitoring – supports ANT+ SPORT chest belts including Suunto and Garmin. Polar un-coded belts can also be used with an adaptor.
- Expert software – allows you to link your Performance Computer directly to your PC providing you with a range of monitoring that was previously only available to the world’s top cyclists.
- Fully adjustable – easily replicate the exact riding position that you use on your regular bike, and you can replace the saddle and pedals that the Wattbike comes with to ensure you’re comfortable and able to get the most out of your physiology.
- Racing – the Wattbike comes ready to race. Each bike is linked to the computer and up to 20 riders can race at once, with their progress and current performance data displayed on a screen.
- Trainer version – suitable for high level track and endurance cyclists, children and non-cyclists.
- Pro version – ideal for track sprinter, endurance cyclists and triathletes, this version features a 0-3,760 Watt resistance range, 10 air resistance levels and magnetic brakes that extend the resistance range for top sprinters. This model is suitable for top endurance and track cyclists.