After another successful year, the ITU World Triathlon Series (ITU WTS), has unveiled an infographic that illustrates the global reach of triathlon.
With statistics compiled by MultiSport Research, the infographic was produced as a brochure for the PruHealth World Triathlon Grand Final London 2013. The infographic within the brochure opens up to reveal three main panels, detailing growth of the sport and the audience in Great Britain, the origins of the World Triathlon Series and the global triathlon audience.
Tim Stemp, Chief Commercial Officer of the ITU World Triathlon Series said, “We have had a truly exceptional year of mass participation and elite level racing across the ITU World Triathlon Series with 38k mass participants and TV coverage of the World Triathlon Series broadcast to over 160 countries.
“Our audience is rapidly growing and we wish to add value to their experiences and are committed to understanding their passion.”
Lagardere Unlimited Events the marketing agency of the ITU World Triathlon Series has brokered a number of sponsorship deals for ITU WTS in 2013. Most of these deals have also come from non-endemic rather than endemic multisport industry partnerships:
- In August, Huawei, ‘the world’s leading information and communications technology company’, became the official technology sponsor of the PruHealth World Triathlon Grand Final London 2013.
- In July, Opel/Vauxhall Ampera was confirmed as the official auto supplier for the 2013 ITU World Triathlon Series races in Hamburg and London.
- In early July, international financial services company ISC Financial Group joined ITU World Triathlon Hamburg as a sponsor.
- In June, leading wetsuit and swimming brand blueseventy signed up as a partner of the ITU WTS championship race.
- In late May, international investment management firm Threadneedle Investments became an official partner of the PtuHealthWorld Triathlon Grand Final event.
- In April, ASICS and a range of new sponsors backed the 2013 Omegawave World Triathlon San Diego event.
- In January PruHealth activated its sponsorship as the title sponsor of the London event, which then became known as the PruHealth World Triathlon Grand Final London.
- Also in January, Chain Reaction Cycles confirmed its partnership with the 2013 ITU World Triathlon Series, serving as ITU’s official retail performance partner.
Gary Roethenbaugh, Managing Director at MultiSport Research, who helped compile the infographic, noted the attractiveness of the global tri community for all sponsor partners…
“Whilst the growing base of triathletes are typically affluent, with high average salaries, they are time poor with many demands from work and family in particular. However, triathlon is by no means a mere distraction. More often than not we see a commitment bordering on obsession!
“This in turn triggers high levels of engagement and awareness of sponsor products and services.”
- 75% unprompted recall of ITU WTS sponsors
- 74% have a positive impression of brands as a result of sponsorship
- 55% would buy sponsor products as a consequence
Tim Stemp concluded, “When we analyse the global triathlete audience, there are of course differences in demographic make-up and lifestyle that vary from country to country. Yet, when it comes to the sport of triathlon, it triggers an all-consuming passion that glues the global community together.
“This combination of driven, ambitious people, taking part in the sport they love, offers up the highest possible levels of sponsor engagement. In turn, as the ITU World Triathlon Series gets into the planning phase for 2014, we shall work with all partners and athletes to ensure a mutual benefit for all – before, during and after race day.”