LA MARATHON LLC and Fitbit have announced a multi-year partnership beginning with the 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon to provide runners of all levels with ‘a positive experience and the tools they need to train smarter and reach their goals.’
Fitbit will be the official sponsor of the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon App and the official tracker of the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon and other LA Marathon LLC properties. A release notes that ‘the partnership unites the leader in the connected health and fitness market with one of the largest marathons in the world to inspire runners to exceed extraordinary limits.’
“Our brands share the common goal of encouraging healthy, more active lifestyles and creating positive experiences for runners of all abilities,” said Sheri Wish, VP of Business Development for LA Marathon. “The marathon app offers a unique interactive experience that will help runners and spectators navigate the course and its amenities on race day.”
The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon App Powered by Fitbit will offers an interactive experience that gives runners, spectators and the entire Los Angeles community access to race information and tools designed to enhance their engagement with the iconic race on Valentine’s Day, 14 February 2016.
The app features a GPS-enabled course map, that lets runners and spectators navigate the course and its amenities while providing information about the many landmarks and entertainment acts that make up the iconic ‘Stadium to the Sea’ course. As runners prepare for race day they will have access to training tips and inspiration from Fitbit Ambassadors, including two of America’s premier distance runners Ryan and Sara Hall, as well as ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes.
The app has been designed to ensure that runners can access this information anytime, anywhere while also taking full advantage of social media features, including custom Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon Instagram borders and the ability to easily join in the social conversation surrounding the marathon.
“By supporting events like the Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon and equipping race participants with training tips from some of the sport’s most successful professional runners, Fitbit is helping consumers reach their race day goals,” said Tim Rosa, VP Global Marketing at Fitbit.
“Armed with these tips and Fitbit’s activity tracking technology, runners of all levels are powered with the information they need to maximize their performance. With features like GPS and automatic heart rate tracking, they can make smart decisions as they train to cross the finish line.”
Fitbit aims to help runners of all abilities prepare for and reach their goals, from completing the LA BIG 5K to setting a personal record at the full marathon. The Fitbit platform combines activity trackers with mobile and social tools, including an online dashboard and mobile apps, data analytics, personalized insights and virtual coaching through customized fitness plans and interactive workouts.
With this platform, Fitbit notes that it provides motivation and enables people to be more active, exercise more, sleep better and manage their weight – all key components when training for a marathon.
Fitbit activity tracker features, dependent on device, include:
- All-day Activity Tracking – Automatically see daily steps, calories burned, distance travelled, floors climbed and active minutes
- GPS Tracking – For real-time workout data such as distance travelled and minute-mile pace
- PurePulse – Delivers continuous and automatic wrist-based heart rate tracking
- Multi-Sport Modes – Record cross-training activities in addition to running, such as bootcamp, circuit training, weight-lifting and yoga
- Automatic Sleep Detection – ‘Track how long and how well you sleep and set a silent wake alarm’
Additional mobile, online and social tools:
- FitStar Personal Trainer and Yoga Apps – Virtual coaching through customized fitness plans and interactive workouts
- Nutrition and Hydration Tracking – Log food and water intake within the Fitbit app
- Motivation – Invite friends and family to share stats, send cheers and taunts, and compete on the leaderboard
- Strava Integration – Automatically share GPS-tracked activities to connect, compete and engage with other performance athletes
The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon app is now available, at no cost, in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The 2016 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon app was developed by Aloompa.
Registration for the 2016 race is currently open and trending towards a fourth straight sell-out.