The International Triathlon Union (ITU) has announced the classification opportunities in 2015 for athletes with physical and visual impairments at several ITU paratriathlon events.
The races that will have assessment for physical impairments (PI) will be the following:
- Penrith OTU Paratriathlon Oceania Championships: one classification panel took place on 9-10 January
- Monterrey CAMTRI Paratriathlon American Championships: two classification panels on 30 April – 1 May
- Sharm al Shaik ATU Paratriathlon Africa Championships: one classification panel on 8 May
- Madrid ITU World Paratriathlon event: one (potentially two) classification panel on 8-9 May
- Yokohama ITU World Paratriathlon event: one classification panel on 15-16 May
- Geneva ETU Triathlon European Championships: one classification panel on 8-9 September; only for athletes with ‘R’ (review) status or Protest Management for a review of their sport class
- Detroit ITU World Paratriathlon event: one panel with classification on 13-14 August
- ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago: one classification panel on 17-18 September; only for athletes with ‘R’ status or Protest Management
- Subic Bay ASTC Paratriathlon Asian Championships: one classification panel – dates to be confirmed
ITU notes that there may be more opportunities added later on in the season. Where only one panel is present, no protest resolution is possible.
Assessment for visual impairments (VI):
- Madrid ITU World Paratriathlon Event: one (potentially two) classification panel on 8 May
ITU is closely working with IBSA and IPC to announce further opportunities as soon as possible. ITU will also be offering courses for certification of classifiers, with dates to be determined.