Hot on the heels of Recon Jet seeing a reduction in price, wearables specialist Kopin has entered the fray with Solos, which is billed as an ultra-lightweight performance eyewear streamlined for aerodynamics, style and comfort.
Solos is being revealed this week at Interbike 2015, Booth #14029, and the brand ‘allows cyclists to easily access real-time performance data from their smartphone or wearable sensors on its high-resolution head-up display.’
“The Solos team has worked directly with professional cyclists to ascertain the critical feedback for smart eyewear that would optimize their performance in a minimalist, functional and fashionable design,” commented Dr Ernesto Martinez, Project Leader of Solos.
“The key insights included, keeping it lightweight, streamlined, intuitive to operate and minimize eyes off the road. These design pillars are evident throughout Solos, giving riders exactly what they need and nothing that they don’t.”
Solos employs Kopin’s Vista display, which measures only 4mm in height, ‘as small as the size of a human pupil’, yet casts a large 5-inch virtual screen with bright, high-resolution full colour graphics.
Solos provides a wide range of adjustability, ‘allowing cyclists to modify the position of the display based on their unique riding posture like training for a triathlon, hitting a century ride, or blazing through mountain trails.’
The company adds that Solus’ translucent virtual screen provides a vibrant and bright, sunlight readable image that cuts glare to maximize visual clarity and provides a safe experience for any journey whether it’s a dimly lit morning ride, bright daylight ride or setting stride into the evening sunset.
Kopin adds that from the ‘form factor to material selection, every design decision behind Solos was meticulously analyzed and tested in wind tunnels to ensure minimal drag and optimal comfort.’ Ergonomically designed, Solos ‘comfortably rests on any cyclists face, blends seamlessly with the helmet and features anti-slip temple and nose pads for ultimate grip during high-intensity training.’
The lightweight and flexible frames are crafted with durable high-end polycarbonate to protect from impact, wind, dust and shocks.
Solos also embraces a ‘Bio-Inspired’ design philosophy, which ‘signifies that every element of the product is engineered to seamlessly integrate with your body.’ With an in–depth understanding of human physiology, the Solos Vista display with easily adjustable viewing position minimizes strain on the eye from long-term rides.
The proprietary Whisper technology with advanced voice extraction technology allows voice commands to control the display settings without lifting a finger. The integrated near-ear stereo speaker system with ambient monitoring also provides volume control to deliver performance cues that can be ‘clearly heard above the noise of the road and wind.’
Kopin’s Solos aims to provide a holistic platform of sensory information, and delivers enhanced performance metrics such as heart rate, speed, power, pace, cadence, distance, duration, and other Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible data.
Solos pairs with a rider’s smartphone to access caller ID, notifications and social media. The Solos app captures, streams and syncs data, allowing cyclists to fine-tune their workouts and closely track target performance levels in real-time. It also supports existing training programs and new tool development allowing users to optimize their training experience.
Solos features include:
- Vista Heads Up Micro Display: The proprietary, sunlight readable, high-resolution display provides a 5” virtual images that is ‘4x larger than typical premium bike computers’. Bio-inspired design, enables an adjustable position for optimal viewing angles that can be seen in all lighting conditions.
- Whisper Bio-Acoustic Audio with VXT Voice Extraction Technology that separates human voice from road noise for voice control and AGC Dynamic Volume control to present clear voice, cues, music and data in the ever changing variety of ambient audio conditions.
- Simax High-Density Lithium-Silicon Battery, exclusively designed for Solos is housed within the slim eyeglass frame, providing more than one hundred miles or 6 hours of uninterrupted power.
- Solos Smartphone App: Performance metrics (heart rate, cadence, power, speed) directly communicated to iOS devices and Android devices. The streamlined app supports upload and sync with market leading applications.
- Interchangeable lenses: Interchangeable safety-rated (ANSI Z87) lenses are available in clear, polarized and iridescent orange.
Solos is being displayed for the first time at Interbike 2015 at booth #14029.