USA Triathlon has confirmed the events that will serve as the 2016 Regional Championships, providing top athletes an opportunity to qualify for the 2016 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships set for 13 August in Omaha, Nebraska.
Competitors who compete at Regional Championships and finish in the top 33% or top five (whichever is greater) in their respective age groups automatically qualify for the 2016 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships. Special Qualifiers also qualify athletes finishing in the top 33% or top five.
Registration for a number of Regional Championships and Special Qualifying races is open now.
The 2015 USA Triathlon Olympic-Distance National Championships were held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and featured a field of nearly 3,000 athletes from all 50 US states. The race has been held annually since 1983 and is part of USA Triathlon’s Age Group National Championships weekend.
2016 USA Triathlon Regional Championships
- Florida: Great Clermont Triathlon (March 20, Clermont, Florida)
- Mid-Atlantic: Jamestown Triathlon (June 12, Williamsburg, Virginia)
- Mideast: Muncie June Olympic (June 11, Muncie, Indiana)
- Midwest: Bluff Creek Olympic Triathlon (July 31, Boone, Iowa)
- Northeast: Rev3 Quassy (June 4, Middlebury, Connecticut)
- Pacific Northwest: Best in the West Triathlon (Sept. 11, Sweet Home, Oregon) – Qualifier for 2017 Nationals
- Rocky Mountain: Life Time Fitness Boulder Peak Triathlon (July 10, Boulder, Colorado)
- South Midwest: TBA
- Southeast: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon (June 26, Chattanooga, Tennessee)
- Southwest: Auburn International Triathlon (May 15, Auburn, California)
2016 USA Triathlon Special Qualifier
- Southeast: Renaissance Man Triathlon (July 10, Florence, Alabama)
USA Triathlon serves as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 races and connects with nearly 500,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world.
In addition to its work with athletes, coaches, and race directors on the grassroots level, USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a member of the ITU and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).