Sun Multisport Events has announced an action-packed slate of competitive events for teams and individuals taking place at its 13th annual TRI-MANIA Summit and Expo – ‘the epicenter of all things triathlon’ – being held on Saturday 19 March 2016 at Boston University’s Fit Rec Center.
These swim, bike, and run events will occur throughout the day as an integral part of the TRI-MANIA Summit & Expo experience, providing participants an early-season test of their endurance and a fun-filled spectacle for all attendees.
Topping this year’s competitive bill is a brand-new event, the #ItsTheNerve Triathlon, a ‘staged’ event comprised of three competitions unfolding throughout the day:
- The Swim Sprint presented by Winning Swimming – A 200-yard swim in the BU Fit Rec Center pool. Athletes will be required to swim eight 25-yard lengths.
- The FastSplits Indoor Bike Time Trial – For this BYOB (‘bring your own bike’) event athletes will affix their bikes to CompuTrainers set up on the TRI-MANIA Expo Floor inside BU’s Fit Rec Center and race a virtual 10K course.
- The Marathon Sports 1600m Dash – This new-to-TRI-MANIA event is a 1600m dash that will take place on Boston University’s 200m indoor track. One of the fastest in New England, this indoor track at BU’s world-class Track & Tennis Center features banked turns and a surface built for speed!
Athletes in the #ItsTheNerve Triathlon will be timed in each individual event. The times from each event will then be combined and the male and females with the fastest overall time will be crowned the #ItsTheNerve Triathlon champions.
TRI-MANIA will also feature the return of one of its most popular events, The Team Challenge. More than 20 teams from around New England will participate in the Team Challenge, including the defending-champion Peak Tri Coaching Team led by USAT and IRONMAN certified coach Colin Cook.
Other teams expected to compete include the Boston Triathlon Team, Bay State Triathlon Team, Breakthrough Performance Coaching and teams from the Northeast Collegiate Triathlon Conference. This unique competition is comprised of the following events:
- The Marathon Sports 4 x 1600m Run Relay
- The FastSplits Indoor Bike Time Trial
- The 4 x 200 yard Relay Swim Challenge presented by Winning Swimming
By registering for the Team Challenge, teams will be entering four teammates into each of these events. The combined time of all four team members in an event creates a Team Time. The Team Time from each event is then added up to determine an Overall Team Time, and the fastest Overall Team Time wins!
Independent of the #ItsTheNerve Triathlon and Team Challenge, all athletes are welcome to compete in The Marathon Sports 1600m Dash and The FastSplits Indoor Bike Time Trial.
Heats for the Dash begin at 10:30 ET. Registration and other details can also be found online. Heats for the Time Trial will run throughout the day beginning at 09:00; registration and other details can be found online.
TRI-MANIA is produced by the award-winning team at Sun Multisport Events. In addition to TRI-MANIA, Sun Multisport produces a series of endurance events throughout New England – ranging from sprint to half-distance triathlons and running events.
Sun Multisport won ‘Best Race Series’ and it’s Patriot Half won ‘Best Small Race’ (less than 1,000 athletes) in the 2013 Triathlete’s Choice Awards administered by Triathlon Business International.
Free general registration for TRI-MANIA is now open online. Registered attendees receive free access to the expo and seminars, earn exclusive discounts on TRI-MANIA clinics and workshops, and gain a chance to win valuable giveaways including the Grand Prize, a 4-day 2017 RaceQuest Travel Triathlon Training Camp in Costa Rica valued at US$2,875.