British Triathlon and Triathlon England have confirmed the opening of the 2018 Major Event bidding process. The governing bodies are inviting event organisers in England, Scotland and Wales to bid for the unique opportunity to host British Championships, Triathlon England Championships, Great Britain Age-Group Team Qualifiers, Elite and Paratriathlon racing opportunities during the 2018 season.
For 2018, British Triathlon is encouraging bids from event organisers who have not bid before to host a British Triathlon or Triathlon England Major Event, particularly those who have hosted regional series or other championship events.
- 2018 BTF and TE Major Events Bidding Guidance Document
- 2018 BTF and TE Major Events Bid Submission Form
The closing date for application is 09:00 GMT on 24 July 2017.
Bidding for a British or Triathlon England Championship is seen as a great step in raising the profile of events. The organisations will endeavour to support event organisers, alongside Triathlon England Regional Managers, to help source and facilitate partnerships and possible sources of local funding; i.e. councils, county sports partnerships and destination marketing organisations to help with the staging of the portfolio of events.
Duathlons and aquathlons across the Home Nation Associations that are successful in their bids represent the very best Great Britain has to offer and will play host to Britain’s best age-group and elite athletes.
Championships to bid for are:
- British Age-Group Duathlon Championships
- British Age-Group Sprint Distance Triathlon Championships
- British Age-Group Middle Distance Triathlon Championships
- British Age-Group Standard Distance Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon England National Duathlon Championships
- Triathlon England National Sprint Distance Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon England National Middle Distance Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon England National Standard Distance Triathlon Championships
- Triathlon England National Aquathlon Championships
In addition to these championships, a range of Great Britain Age-Group Team Qualifiers are also included in the bidding process. Details of all events that are included in this bidding process and a bidding application form can be downloaded below.
Duncan Hough, Triathlon England Board Director for Events, Rules and Technical, said “This season, 50% of Triathlon England Championships were awarded to event organisers who hadn’t hosted a Championship before, offering new and exciting racing opportunities alongside well-established events on the circuit.
“We encourage all event organisers to put an application forward so we can offer another batch of fantastic championships again in 2018.”