Wearables and VR specialist Kopin Corporation has added Tom Futch as Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing – Solos, for the company’s SOLOS Smart Glass business. Introduced as a competitor to the Recon Jet smart glasses in 2015, SOLOS is Kopin’s ‘award-winning, high-performance and ultra-lightweight AR smart glasses designed for optimal sports performance, safety, comfort and style.’
Kopin’s SOLOS AR smart glasses were designed with input from the USA Olympics Cycling Team to let athletes safely and wirelessly see their performance data from sensors on the cycle, smartphone or a digital fitness device on a heads-up display – in real time. With its mix of analytics, contextual guidance and performance data in a heads-up system, SOLOS Smart Glasses aims to empower athletes and active consumers to improve their fitness level without distraction, line-of-sight adjustments or the need for touch.
As Senior Vice President of Kopin’s SOLOS Smart Glass business, Tom Futch and his team are tasked with increasing the brand awareness, sales and strategic partnerships of SOLOS smart glasses to a broader and more inclusive athletic and active consumer base.
Futch joins Kopin with more than two decades of experience leading global sales, marketing and branding strategy for leading global brands in consumer fitness wearables and apps, digital health, weight loss and employee wellness. In addition to leading the sales and marketing efforts for SOLOS Smart Glasses and software services, Futch and his team will be responsible for the strategic development of Kopin’s evolving ecosystem of professional and consumer wearable products, services and partnerships.
“It is time for Kopin’s SOLOS Performance Wearables business to expand beyond cycling and into new sports and activities, like running, triathlons, golf, skiing, snowboarding and swimming,” said Dr John Fan, Kopin’s President and CEO. “Tom shares Kopin’s mission: to build the most advanced, comfortable, safe, durable and stylish AR wearables that give consumers insights to their performance data. His track record of executing world-class sales and branding strategies in the fitness, health and wellness markets fits perfectly with our ambitions for SOLOS.”
“With SOLOS, Kopin correctly predicted that high-performance augmented reality glasses would be an essential tool for today’s professional and amateur athletes,” said Futch. “My experience leading and advising new fitness technologies to the larger consumer market will serve Kopin well – with my goal being to turn SOLOS Smart Glasses into a household brand name. Our mission is to create the most advanced AR Smart Glasses Platform to inform and inspire athletes and consumers to achieve their full human potential.”
In addition to driving sales growth and developing partnerships via direct-to-consumer, retail, fitness, employee wellness and insurance campaigns, Futch is an entrepreneur who successfully founded and directed Inov8 Health Growth Strategies, a strategic advisor and investment firm for major digital fitness, health and wellness companies.
Previously, Futch’s experience includes leading and advising in executive sales and marketing roles at leading global fitness, health and wellness brands, including Fitbit, Weight Watchers, BodyMedia/Jawbone, Johnson & Johnson and Medtronic.
Futch reports to Dr John Fan, Kopin’s President and CEO, and is based in North Carolina.
Solos features include:
- Vista Heads Up Micro Display: The proprietary, sunlight readable, high-resolution display provides a 5” virtual images that is ‘4x larger than typical premium bike computers’. Bio-inspired design, enables an adjustable position for optimal viewing angles that can be seen in all lighting conditions.
- Whisper Bio-Acoustic Audio with VXT Voice Extraction Technology that separates human voice from road noise for voice control and AGC Dynamic Volume control to present clear voice, cues, music and data in the ever changing variety of ambient audio conditions.
- Simax High-Density Lithium-Silicon Battery, exclusively designed for Solos is housed within the slim eyeglass frame, providing more than one hundred miles or 6 hours of uninterrupted power.
- Solos Smartphone App: Performance metrics (heart rate, cadence, power, speed) directly communicated to iOS devices and Android devices. The streamlined app supports upload and sync with market leading applications.
- Interchangeable lenses: Interchangeable safety-rated (ANSI Z87) lenses are available in clear, polarized and iridescent orange.