The role of the Executive Director is to manage and grow the USA Triathlon Foundation, including leading major gift fundraising, annual fund initiatives, donor events, communications, marketing, grant programs and community initiatives, while overseeing day-to-day business operations.
The Executive Director will have operational oversight of the USA Triathlon Foundation, providing the opportunity to lead and shape an early-stage non-profit, ‘supported by a passionate and committed triathlon community’ – focused on its mission to open pathways to triathlon for all – especially underserved youth. This position provides an opportunity to make a significant impact, both on the organization and the individuals whose lives it changes.
The Executive Director will also be part of USA Triathlon’s senior leadership team. The ideal candidate brings a passion for the foundations’ mission, is entrepreneurial, innovative and practical with strong business acumen and significant experience in fundraising and major gifts.
Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Work with USA Foundation President and trustees to establish a clear multi-year strategy
- Develop annual plan, including objectives, key initiatives, milestones and expected outcomes to ensure short and long-term success, including specific requirements of trustees
- Support trustee governance needs, including trustee candidate vetting and selection, and committee composition and structures
- Work with the foundation standing committee Chairs, including Marketing, Fundraising, Grants, Finance, and Nominating & Governance
- Collaborate with USA Triathlon Foundation trustees and USA Triathlon to implement fundraising campaigns to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gifts, including planning giving opportunities
- Organize foundation events such as fundraisers, auctions, receptions/dinners and speaking engagements
- Manage and optimize Salsa Labs Nonprofit CRM Software for donor management, digital marketing, online fundraising, online advocacy and peer to peer fundraising
- Develop donor thank you campaign that integrates grant recipient stories to reflect those impacted by donor support
- Collaborate with USA Triathlon partners and the USOC to integrate the foundation as appropriate into existing promotions and events
Marketing & Communications
- Manage, oversee and optimize USA Triathlon Foundation’s branding materials and intellectual properties
- Develop and implement marketing strategy to drive awareness of the foundation and showcase its ‘stories’ and local community impact, fully leveraging all digital and social media platforms, including the foundation website
- Interface between foundation Board of Trustees and USA Triathlon staff to coordinate promotional activities, e-communications and strategy
- Coordinate with professional athletes and US Olympians/Paralympians on speaking engagements, fantasy experiences, personal appearances and signed memorabilia
Grants & Program Support
- Working with the Foundation Grant Committee, coordinate and support the annual USA Triathlon Foundation grant process including grant guidelines, communication, applications, selection, and grantee follow-up stories
- Coordinate and support the foundation high school grant program with the USAT and Foundation Grant Committee
- Support and expand Elite Athlete Scholarship initiative with elite athletes such as the Gwen Jorgensen Scholarship and Jesse Thomas Scholarship programs
- Support and coordinate other grant related programs as needed
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, marketing, sports administration or a similar field
- Minimum five years of experience in fundraising, sports marketing or non-profit organizations
- Significant major gift and annual fund experience
- Extremely personable with excellent verbal and written communication skills with significant public speaking experience
- Software proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint or other presentation platforms
- Highly organized with ability to work independently and manage multiple projects at once from inception through execution; detail-oriented and deadline focused
- Knowledge of the multisport or endurance industries is encouraged but not required
- Ability to travel and work additional hours as necessary, including nights and weekends
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment as part of a team atmosphere, including effective coordination with other business units
Compensation and benefits:
Full-time position; salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Comprehensive benefits package including 401K, health and dental insurance.
- Apply online
- Submit cover letter, resume and salary history/requirements
The USA Triathlon Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.