Running from July 6-14th, the ITU Multisport World Championships Festival in Fyn, Denmark welcomed more than 3,000 athletes competing for world champion status across five challenging disciplines in three host cities.
When asked for an overall assessment of the ITU Multisport World Championships Festival, International Triathlon Union (ITU) President, Marisol Casado, concluded “A really intense nine days with sports at their finest. A big celebration for everybody to be really happy about at this magnificent event.”
The President of the Danish Triathlon Federation, Mads Freund, shares the sentiment, stating, “I’m not just proud of the event; I’m very proud of the event. I think, if you look at all the days that have come and gone, everything’s been done – in almost every instance – better than what was expected.”
Freund continued, “Firstly, the organization behind it all’s been working at peak performance. The volunteers; people from the cities, the organizational comities – they’ve all been at the ready, doing what they were supposed to from day one. Also, they’ve gone from doing a good job at the start of the festival to doing a phenomenal job at the end of it.
“Looking at it from a results-kind-of-view, we’ve also surpassed our own expectations. We got a World Champion in Andreas on the very first day, and we capped it all off with Helle on the long-distance discipline, on the final day of the festival. And in-between all that, we’ve captured a ton of medals and good results. Standing by the finish line, looking on as athletes crossed it, one’s eyes would come across a steady stream of happy faces. So, I think that I can confidently say that the many guests who visited Odense or Fyn were very happy. Overall, the execution of the event has been world class.”
Jane Jegind, the Vice President of Sport Event Fyn, as well as being the Mayor of Sport, Culture and Urban Development in Odense, said “Having hosted the second edition of the Fynske Bank Multisport World Championships Festival does the entire island of Fyn proud. No less than 197 world champions have been crowned over the course of the last nine days, and we are happy that more than 3,000 athletes have had the experience of three unique destinations on Fyn in the company of family, friends and volunteers.
“The three host cities – Odense, Middelfart and Svendborg – put forth a wonderful combination of coastal scenery, urban atmosphere and a bike friendly environment which we believe will encourage many to come back as tourists.”
Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark, added, “Nine days, five world championships in three different host cities on one island; Fyn. This was the successful frame of the ITU MultiSport Festival here in Denmark. The festival concept has proven its worth as the festive celebration of triathlon played a major role in the event setup.”
At a glance:
- Sponsored by Fynske Bank, the ITU Multisport World Championships Festival took place on July 6-14, 2018 in the cities of Middelfart, Svendborg, and Odense.
- Five disciplines: Duathlon, Aquathlon, Aquabike, Cross Triathlon and Long-Distance Triathlon.
- There were World Championships for the elite, U23, Junior, Para and age groups, and there was also an opportunity to sign up for open race competitions.
- The World Championships and Open Races were embraced by a festival where people from all over the world could join in sports, fun, and festivities.
- The Danish Triathlon Federation, Sport Event Fyn, Sport Event Denmark and the host cities Middelfart, Svendborg, and Odense were partners at the event that was staged for the International Triathlon Union (ITU)
- Total amount of athletes exceeded 3,000
- Grand total: World champions, 197
- Grand total: ‘Multisport Legends’, 15