Bontrager has released a new line-up of carbon road wheels that, according to the company, are ‘perfect for dedicated road racing, riding, cyclocross racing, and gravel adventuring’. The Aeolus XXX line-up features three distinct rim depths for a wide range of riding applications, and builds on the success of Bontrager’s Aeolus D3 with a redesigned shape that claims to be lighter, more aerodynamic whilst offering better braking performance.
Most notably, Bontrager notes that the new shape was designed to perform well and provide additional stability in crosswinds, allowing riders to run a deeper rim with more confidence.
Bontrager plotted over 10,000 aerodynamic shapes while developing Aeolus XXX, with ‘each new design building on the strengths and learning from the shortcoming of those previous’. Shapes were further refined by selecting leading shapes and analyzing them each to find the ideal balance between strength and weight. Bontrager ultimately landed on three unique rim profiles that each provide stability, speed, and weight for their depth:
- Aeoulus XXX 2 with a 28mm depth is the ‘lightweight climber, strong enough for cyclocross and gravel riding’: US$2399.98/set
- Aeoulus XXX 4 with a 47mm depth is the ‘do-it-all workhorse, fast and stable for everyday aero performance’: US$2399.98/set
- Aeolus XXX 6 with a 60mm depth ‘offers ultimate speed with unmatched stability, bringing an ultra-aero wheel to more riders and conditions’: US$2399.98/set
Bontrager set out to address one of the biggest shortcomings of carbon wheels by benchmarking alloy rim braking performance in the development of Aeolus XXX, specifically targeting wet conditions. Thanks to a unique, laser-etched texture on the braking surface called Laser Control Track, the wheels claim to offer braking performance that is on par with alloy rims while providing better modulation and an increased sense of control.
Bontrager points to a number of key features of its new Aeolus XXX wheels:
- All-new shapes that are optimized for each depth and intended use. The result is that classic Aeolus ride quality riders have come to expect with best-in-class aerodynamics and stability that doesn’t suffer in even the harshest crosswinds.
- Laser Control Track massively improves braking performance for stopping power directly comparable to alloy rims, especially in wet conditions.
- A wider 21mm internal rim width provides tyre support for today’s wider tyres, and the included TLR strips make tubeless setup simple.
- Reliable and smooth-rolling DT-Swiss hub internals with 36-point star ratchets laced with DT-Swiss Aerolite spokes offer lightning-fast engagement.
- Laser-etched graphics provide a clean finish without additional weight.
- All Aeolus XXX wheels are designed and domestically manufactured at Trek’s Global Headquarters in Waterloo, WI, USA.
- Carbon Care Loyalty program allows riders to buy with confidence and replace wheels damaged outside of warranty.
Aeolus XXX is available in three rim depths for rim and disc brakes. All are available in tubular and clincher versions. All rim brake models are available immediately as well as the Aeolus XXX 2 disc models. Aeolus XXX 4 and Aeolus XXX 6 disc models will be available in June.
The Aeolus family also includes the Aeolus Pro. The All-new Aeolus Pro 5 is a 50mm deep tubeless-ready rim brake wheel that balances durability, weight and aerodynamics. ‘Through an aggressive price point, the Aeolus Pro promises to bring the performance and ride feel of carbon wheels to more riders.’