Specialist research & consultancy firm MultiSport Research has released its second Endurance Sport Social Analytics (ESSA) report. The newly launched ESSA Media Report builds on the recently introduced ESSA Gear study.
The new ESSA Media Report tracks and benchmarks how endurance sport media titles are leveraging Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Analyzing data for the December 2017 to February 2018 period, the new media-specific report focuses specifically on international endurance sport media titles.
From Runner’s World to Global Cycling Network, Active.com, Competitor and Triathlete magazine, the report analyzes the social media engagement for over 70 specialist online media and print magazine brands. Summary findings include:
- 74 endurance sport media brands tracked on social, across 253 social media profiles
- 55,000+ overall posts and 19.2 million social interactions in the December to February reporting period.
- Across cycling, run, triathlon and general fitness media, there are 26 media titles with over 100,000 fans on Facebook
- Posting frequency by endurance sport media is notably higher than that undertaken by gear brands. There are 8 media titles tracked in the ESSA Media Report posting more than 20 times per day on Facebook.
- Media titles are utilising Instagram less than gear brands; although a shift towards heightened use of Instagram is under way
“The ESSA Media Report is essentially a benchmarking and competitive analysis tool,” said MultiSport Research founder and Managing Director, Gary Roethenbaugh. “It provides data on key performance metrics, showing which media brands are performing best across the main social media channels. This data guides and informs active endurance sport media players – as well as the brands that advertise with them.”
The endurance media titles covered in the ESSA Media Report span 4 main product sub-categories: Cycling, Run, Triathlon and General Fitness. With analysis drilling down into each sub-category, the report helps companies answer key strategic questions, such as:
- How do we compare against our competitor brands?
- What can we learn from social media activity undertaken by others?
- What types of post are most likely to resonate with the athlete community?
- What types of image, post text and subject matter is most successful?
MultiSport Research’s North America Director Kate Morefield said, “With around 25,000 posts per month by endurance media titles – it is clear that online and print media are fully social! As large amounts are now spent on paid-boosted posts within social media, using the data & insights in this report will guide a more cost-effective and impactful social media strategy.”
The February edition of the ESSA Media Report also includes an Excel data workbook with all data, detailing 250+ social links across the four social platforms and all key performance indicators. The report is priced at US$400 (only US$100 when purchased with the ESSA Gear Report, combined US$750). Available now via bit.ly/ESSAMediaFeb18.