An opportunity exists to become Chair of British Triathlon, the national governing body for the triathlon, aquathlon and duathlon in the UK, and to succeed the current President, Ian Howard, who is coming to the end of his tenure.
British Triathlon notes that ‘This is a truly great time to be involved in our sport, where interest, participation and medal successes are at their highest levels. Building upon the successes to date, the new Chair will lead the organisation to Tokyo 2020 and beyond.’
The Chair will be passionate, progressive and innovative. He or she will be responsible for strategic leadership, external relations, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness of the Board and building a strong relationship with the Chief Executive and the wider executive team to achieve agreed objectives.
The successful candidate will lead the British Triathlon Board ensuring the strategic deliverables are achieved, manage the expectations of all stakeholders and that a sound financial position is maintained.
Equipped with the skills and knowledge to meet the challenges and opportunities faced by the sport, he/she will be able to demonstrate:
- Success in a senior role in the private, public and/or voluntary sector;
- An understanding of the role of an Independent Chair in promoting good governance;
- A good understanding of the UK’s sporting landscape and the role that sport plays in society;
- The ability to consider complex issues related to evaluating strategic performance, think creatively and strategically;
- The skills to challenge, support and present views in a clear and concise manner; and
- A clear commitment to improving diversity and equality and understanding the needs of under-represented groups in sport.
British Triathlon (BTF) adds that the Chair will be a strategic leader, with a passion for sport and a willingness to devote time, energy and effort to BTF.
The current President stands down in July 2019, so it is envisaged that the successful candidate will have a period of 6-8 months to shadow in the new role.
For an informal discussion, or to arrange a chat with either the CEO or outgoing President, individuals can contact British Triathlon’s Company Secretary, Kay Simnett on kaysimnett[at]britishtriathlon.org.
To apply, individuals should submit a current CV and covering letter along with a completed Equality Form, which can be downloaded from the British Triathlon website. The application should be emailed to the Company Secretary at governance[at]britishtriathlon.org.
- Closing date: 14 October 2018
- Interview date: 9 November 2018