Home All news

Carbon neutral and increase in female runners – 2020 Schneider Electric Paris Marathon opens


Running in the heart of Paris, the 44th edition of the Schneider Electric Paris Marathon will take place on 5th April 2020. Produced by A.S.O., the popular marathon runs through the Champs-Elysees to the Place de la Bastille, from the Bois de Vincennes to the Bois de Boulogne, and along the banks of the Seine. Registration for the 2020 event is now open on A.S.O.’s Time To platform.

On 5th April 2020, runners will pass the city’s iconic landmarks during the route, including the Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame, the Louvre, Musee d’Orsay. During the 2019 race, the route, for the first time passed the Opéra Garnier and Place Vendôme.



In 2019, out of the 49,155 participants that took part a significant 97.8% finished the race; and for the first time in the history of the Paris Marathon, the overall winner and the first person to cross the finish line, was a woman – Gelete Burka. Ethiopia’s Burka won with a time of 2:22:47.

Last year also saw an increase in female runners. Thanks to the launch of support programmes and Facebook groups such as ‘Paris Marathon Girls’, women made up 27% of the field.

The Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris has became the ‘first carbon-neutral marathon in the world’. The organising team note that it attained a goal of offsetting all carbon emissions generated by the race, which are estimated at 25,000 tonnes of CO2.

94% of these emissions are the result of marathon runners travelling to Paris by plane or by car, with the remaining 6% coming from the logistics of the event.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.