The second edition of ÖTILLÖ Cannes is turning out to be one of the most popular events of ÖTILLÖ’s swimrun year – with more than 620 racers from close to 20 nations. This is the second-to-last ÖTILLÖ Swimrun weekend of the year and the sixth ÖTILLÖ World Series race weekend in 2019.
The city of Cannes in the south of France will act as stage for this showdown where the racers will be both experiencing ‘wild nature and the beauty of this city’.
On Saturday, October 19th there will be several shorter races to make the sport accessible to more people and to let newcomers experience swimrun.
- The Experience distance is 7.3 km with four swim sections totalling 1900m. This race distance can be undertaken in teams of two or solo.
- The Sprint eludes to the distance and not to the speed. It is a total of 16.1 km with six swim sections totalling 3600m. This race either be done in teams of two or solo.
There are close to 350 athletes signed up for these ‘tastes of ÖTILLÖ Swimrun’.
On Sunday, October 20th the main ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series event gets under way in Cannes. This acts as a qualifier to the ÖTILLÖ World Championship in Sweden, taking place next September, and is where teams can collect series ranking points. The ÖTILLÖ Cannes World Series event is a total of 39.4 km, with 10 swim sections totalling 8500m. This race can only be undertaken in a team of two. There are around 300 individuals signed up for the event.
Sunday’s World Series race
The 150 teams of two start their Sunday morning by running hard out of the old fort on the island of Ste Marguerite to their first swim where they swim to the monastery island of St Honorat, which they circumnavigate before swimming back to Ste Marguerite and then back to the mainland and the city of Cannes.
In Cannes the racers swim by the Croisette. They run the brutal hills of La Croix des Gardes and La Californie, and run through the old town of Le Suquet. The event organisers add that the ‘combination of long beautiful swims and some fast city sightseeing will take its toll.’
In total, they will cover almost 31 km on foot and 8.5 km swimming making a course distance just less than 40km. The fastest teams are expected to complete the course in around 4.5 hours.
ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series
ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Cannes is part of the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series and a qualifier to ÖTILLÖ, the Swimrun World Championship in the Swedish archipelago.
The ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series is in its fourth season with a minimum of seven qualifier races for the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship.
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series 2019
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar, Croatia, 7 Apr 2019
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Utö, Sweden, 19 May 2019
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly, UK, 19 Jun 2019
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Engadin, Switzerland, 7 Jul 2019
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun 1000 Lakes, Germany, 22 Sep 2019 (qualifier to ÖTILLÖ 2020)
- ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Cannes, France, 20 Oct 2019 (qualifier to ÖTILLÖ 2020)
- ÖTILLÖ Malta, 24 Nov 2019 (qualifier to ÖTILLÖ 2020, new race)
At each World Series event an Experience & Sprint race is organised the day before.
The 15th edition of the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship in Sweden takes place on August 31st, 2020.